1. Reynagarður. an old vicarage build in 1630 with 4 wings around a paved yard. The newly restored westwing is a half-timbered house in Danish style. The southwing is an old Faroese style dating from 16 hundred.
Munkastovan must be dating back to
the middleage, the heavy stone walls made from the same technique as used in
the medival buildings in Kirkjubøur. The Munkastovan as well as the neighboring
building, Leigubúðin, were saved when a devastating fire in 1673 burnt down
many of the buildings in Tinganes. Leigubúðin,
a former warehouse, where the kings revenue, payed in kind, was stored. It is
difficult to date the building but it is mentioned as one of the buildings that
survived the fire in 1673.
Corps de Garde Guardhouse built in
1693, with a prison in the basement. Inscription on the wall.
the fort warehouse - the extreme building on Tinganes, built in 1750. The other
red-brownish houses were all built after the fire 1673 as warehouses and
residential properties. Today they are government offices.
Stokkastova an old warehouse dating
Fortification, built in 1580 by Magnus Heinason a local hero, to protect the
trade against pirates. During the second world war the Faroese were occupied by
British troops. They had their headquarter on Skansin. The fort has been rebuilt
several times and obtained its present shape in 1780. It was restored some
years ago. There are 2 guns, left over from the British occupation, on Skansin
and some old danish bronze guns from 1782.
Memorial table to Niels R. Finsen, born in Tórshavn
(1860-1904). He was awarded the Nobel Prize for medicine. As a child he carved
"NRF" in the rock behind the plaque.
5. Next to the parking space Undir
Glasheyggi there are two statues picturing a man and a woman returning from the
outlying fields with mild and peet.
6. Kongaminnið. A basalt obelisk
erected in 1882 to commemorate the visit of the Danish king Christian IX's
visit to the Faroe Islands in 1874. From here you have a splendid view of the
7. The merry corner. In the middle of the
pedestrian street there is a fountain - with no water - and a statue in
stainless steel picturing dancing children.
8. The saving bank. In the small
garden of the saving bank there is a bronze statue of a couple made by the Faroese
artist Janus Kamban.
9. The Council Hall, built in 1896
as a parish hall. Some years ago the Town Council restored the house and made
it the Council hall.
10. Town Hall. Built in Faroese
basalt in 1894. It was the school until 1955. In the midseventies it was
restored and converted into an office building.
11. Lagthing, The Faroese Parliament
building. Built in timber in 1856, and extended in 1907.
12. R.C. Effersøe. On the lane in
front of the Lagthing there is a portrait bust presenting the Faroese poet R.C.
Effersøe. It was unveiled in 1933.
13. H.N. Jacobsens Book shop. A
protected 3-winged building in a beautiful garden. It was built in 1860 and was
then a "realskúli", a secondary school. A book shop since 1918.
14. Havnar Kirkja. The church in
Tórshavn, built in 1788. In 1865 it was extended and rebuilt, the steeple was
then erected over the front church.
15. Smiðjan í Lítluvík. An old
forge, bought by the Council and converted into a artgalleri.
16. Mettustova, one of the pretty
old houses in the old town, á Reyni. Built in 1719 and restored app. 1965. It
is owned by the Women's club of Tórshavn.
17. Gongin, the old main street in
Tórshavn, very narrow and picturesque. Some of the houses are built in the 19th
18. Ríkisumboðið. The house was
built in 1880 in Faroese basalt. It is the residence and office of the Danish